When preparing your holiday soirée, you have to think of the three C's: Cheese, Charcuterie, and Crudités! Not only is it an easy appetizer to whip up, but it can also double as a beautiful centerpiece for your guests to enjoy. Here are our tips to build a beautiful cheese, charcuterie, and crudités board at home!
Let's get the big question out of the way: what exactly are "charcuterie" and "crudités?" Aside from being the perfect compliment to every cheese board, "charcuterie" is all things prepared meat. It primarily refers to pork, but that isn't always the case. We like to use French-cured duck salami from time to time! "Crudités," on the other hand, are your raw veggies and dips. Here's a video of Chef Pace with a great tutorial on how to blanch vegetables to prepare for your crudité board! The combination of cheese, meats, and veggies give great varying textures, colors, and make the perfect small bites during cocktail hour!
When building your Triple C board, it's all about variety.
- Go for what's in season, ALWAYS! Did you know? Produce that's in season will always be the least expensive produce at the market! During the winter we love to use pomegranates and cranberries.
- Set up cheeses with different textures! Contrast soft cheeses like brie, with hard sharp cheddars.
- Go bold with your cheese flavors! We love using drunken goat cheese, which is a wine-soaked cheese. I mean, everyone loves wine with cheese!
- When thinking about how much to put out- think 1 ounce of veggies, and 2 ounces of meats, and cheeses per person.
- Sweet + Savory is always a no-brainer! Honey is a fantastic compliment to cheese. Keep a raw honeycomb on the side for guests to drizzle honey on their food.
- Decorate with produce! Using fresh produce as decor is a fresh and simple way to elevate your board. We use produce as large as trumpet squash, to as simple as oranges and lemons.
- Think about the platters you use. We love to use long marble slabs and wooden boards, both of which you can pick up at your local hardware store! Using un-traditional platters will make a striking statement.
- Have fun with it! Let your creative side run free. Prepping the cheese and charcuterie board is one of Chef Pace's favorite things to do for events. All the beautiful colors from produce make setting up a CCC board feel like creating a painting.